how to:How to Use BlackBerry Messaging (BBM) to Organize NonViolent Action
Although BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) got some negative attention during the #UKRiots it is an execllent tool for organizing and communicating quickly with many people at once.
During the #UKriots BBM emerged as the leading way many of the youth organized themselves and communicated with one another. This is due to the convenience and affordability of BBM: its free between BlackBerry users and is quicker then text.
Because BlackBerry was originally designed for business users, there are many security features built in such as the ability to remotely lock or wipe your device.
With BBM connected apps, you can chat with your contacts and other BBM users. You can also do the following:
- Post recent app activities to your BBM profile
- Host or join events
- Ignore app invitations from contacts
- Block or report an app
- Add Contacts
- Share links to GPS locations, podcasts, and webpages with a group
- Send and receive appointments
Add contacts by scanning barcodes (the new PIN system). To perform this task, your BlackBerry smartphone must have a camera:
- On the contact list screen, press the key > Invite to BBM > Scan a PIN barcode > Start Scanning.
- Hold your smartphone so that all four corners of the barcode appear on your screen. Continue to hold the smartphone until you hear the success beep
- Wait for the person to accept your invitation
When you add a contact by scanning a barcode, the person might need to accept your invitation before the person is added to your BlackBerry Messenger contact list.
You can also add contacts by using the old pin system if you are not with the person to scan their phone OR you have an older Blackberry model:
When you add a contact by typing an email address or PIN, the person must accept your invitation before the person is added to your BlackBerry Messenger contact list.
- On the contact list screen, press the key > Invite to BBM.
- Type part or all of the contact information in the field at the top of the screen.
- Click the contact information.
- If necessary, change the Send Using field or the Category field.
- Click Send.
- The person will remain in the Pending category until the person responds to your invitation.
Someone may ask you, "Whats your BBM Pin?" so they can add you as a contact. On most models you can simply type in: MyPin and then enter into a bbm message and it appears. Here is how to find it on other models.
Create Groups from Contact Lists
- On the BBM contact list screen, press the Menu key and click Create New Group.
- Type a name for the group.
- Type a description that people will see when they receive the invitation to the group.
- Change the Group Icon field.
- Click Create Group.
Install BB Protect! This free application allows users to take advantage of several security features such as backup and protecting your information and messages.
Use your BBM groups to message many people at once. This is helpful when organizing a:
- Nonviolent Flash Protest
- Notifying your fellow activists if there are dangers in the area where you are protesting and they should avoid certain locations
- Updating organizers about changes to a campaign or rally
- To spread messages about corruption or human rights abuses as part of an awareness building campaign. Send a message to all of your BBM groups, and ask others to send to all of there groups. This is a great way to
reach many people in a short amount of time.